FLIWAS - Web Application for Flood Control
Web application for flood control management.
FLIWAS is a platform that integrates existing information systems, and facilitates communication between responsible parties during an emergency. It also serves to document the emergency and the measures taken.
FLIWAS serves as a common source for vital information, integrates data from external systems (e.g., flooding simulations or water levels), and automatically generates warnings based on the inputs it receives if measures need to be taken by its users.
Institutions and people involved in flood control can use FLIWAS to communicate with each other, and FLIWAS automatically documents the course of events.
Being a web application, FLIWAS can be used from any reasonably modern computer (PCs or mobile devices) with an internet connection and a web browser without any additional software requirements.
FLIWAS supports the following tasks in the context of flood control:
- Precautionary Measures: FLIWAS collects and manages all the relevant information centrally. Users create emergency plans and connect them with important additional information. Thanks to the web-based GIS built into FLIWAS, information can be associated with spatial context, existing geographical data can be integrated, and specially tailored maps can be uploaded.
- Emergency Response: FLIWAS automatically receives and evaluates live water level data, and can therefore warn users ahead of time if specific measures have to be taken. Users can get an overview of the status of their measures at any time. The results of 2D flooding simulations can be visualized in order to evaluate the probable results of a dyke breach and thereby to support the decisions that need to be made to master the incident.
- Communication: FLIWAS can integrate seamlessly with your existing communication infrastructure (E-Mail, SMS), and facilitates the creation and distribution of situation reports.
- Documentation and Evaluation: The course of events and significant user interactions are automatically logged by FLIWAS. This can be used to evaluate an operation in great detail; decisions can be traced, and improvements can be made to flood control procedures. In addition, FLIWAS offers a variety of tools to visualize processes and facilitate their analysis.
- Training: FLIWAS provides the user with an ability to create detailed exercise scripts. These "screenplays" automatically dispatch predefined E-Mail messages to specific participants of an exercise. The script can be modified during the exercise, and it can be used to create realistic conditions for such an exercise.
The FLood Information and WArning System was developed by Leiner & Wolff during the NOAH project (an Interreg IIIb project) on behalf of the Netherlands, the city of Cologne, and the state of Baden-Württemberg. It is currently being evaluated and introduced in numerous projects in various regions of Europe. Meanwhile, the software continues to be developed in close cooperation with its users.